The UMBRELLA competition will award a total of £250,000 in funding to some of the most promising digital technology small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) across South Gloucestershire, the South West and the wider UK.
Following feedback from interested SMEs and other stakeholders, the UMBRELLA competition is now expanded into Phase 2.
Phase 1: The deadline for this phase was Monday, 21 March 2022 at midnight. From those that applied during this phase, up to 5 SMEs are expected to be selected to enter the engagement programme of the competition. Read more about the Phase 1 winners.
Phase 2: Interested SMEs should submit their bids through the competition application form by 16 May 2022 at noon:
- Any applications not already evaluated in Phase 1 will be evaluated in Phase 2.
- In addition, SMEs that successfully passed the Phase 1 Jury Evaluation but are not among the top 5 awarded in this phase will be re-evaluated alongside Phase 2 submissions. Up to 5 additional SMEs will be awarded in the second phase of the competition.
The money will be awarded to companies to support further development of innovative products, that demonstrate real impact to address today’s societal challenges.
Successful bids will have access to:
- Grants typically between £3,000 – £25,000
- Technical support during the testbed implementation
- Access to the UMBRELLA network facilities
- Training recommendations depending on the specific needs of each SME
This project is funded by the UK Government through the UK Community Renewal Fund.
The UK Community Renewal Fund is a UK Government programme for 2021/22. This aims to support people and communities most in need across the UK to pilot programmes and new approaches to prepare for the UK Shared Prosperity Fund. It invests in skills, community and place, local business, and supporting people into employment. For more information, visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-community-renewal-fundprospectus
Phase 1 timeline
Monday 21 February – Phase 1 launch
Monday 07 March – live briefing event. Download the presentation.
Monday 21 March (midnight) – deadline for applications
Friday 8 April – Phase 1 winners announced
Phase 2 timeline
Monday, 16 May – deadline for Phase 2 applications
Wednesday, 30 May – Phase 2 winners announced
How to apply
SMEs who meet the competition criteria should complete the application form by 16 May 2022.